ABOUT COROMANDEL MARINE GATEWAY
The aim of the Pita Street Development Company is to establish a marine basin and service facility near the centre of Coromandel Town to provide the following:
- A ferry landing terminal right in Coromandel Town with direct service from Auckland City
- A central facility for Fishing Charter operators based in Coromandel Town
- Hardstand storage for 35 boats up to 12 metres in length
- Travel lift haul-out, ancillary marine services and maintenance areas
- Boat-rack on land storage for 180 trailer boats
- Temporary short-stay wet marina berths within marina basin
- Channel dredging to provide all-tide access to and from the harbour via Furey’s Creek right into Coromandel Town
- Channel dredging to provide all tide access to recreational boaties launching from the adjacent Patukirikiri Reserve
- 10-12 marine side apartments
- Car parking and toilets for facility users
- Provision for new marine-focused businesses in nearby township
- Provision for improvement to town access roads when needed
The facility will need to be built in an environmentally sustainable manner and will improve “quality of life” for the Town.
It is proposed the existing Furey’s Creek public waterway will be widened and deepened by dredging the creek and developing stop-banks a marine basin and marine facility for users.
Consultation is underway with key stakeholders including TCDC, Waikato Regional Council, Iwi, NZTA, Department of Conservation, Forest & Bird, adjacent landowners and the wider public.
The consent will be fully publicly notified, so everyone will have a chance to have their say. Expert reports covering ecology, coastal processes, cultural impact, landscape effects, archaeology, geotech and construction effects will all be required as part of the consent application. Once effects are assessed we will work with our experts and stakeholders to avoid or mitigate any negative effects.